Wednesday, March 5, 2014

The Greatest Love of All: My Interpretation

A partial requirement in Psychology 101
By: Joey D. Bidan Jr.


I
 remember a time in high school when my teacher asked me if I love my country. I told her, "Ma'am, how can I love my country if I don't even know how to love myself?" This is the very essence of the song - "knowing how to love oneself."

The first three stanzas as I view the song, actually visualizes major events in our lives. The first stanza is about the children "and how they remind us how we used to be". How we all started off with innocent and carefree attitude never having any problem at all. In view of this fact one needs to take the time to teach the children for soon they will become as adults. It is the time for parents to be influential in their child’s upbringing because these children will become “our future”. 

The second stanza is about inspiration or motivation. This part tells us that, "everybody's searching for a hero and that people need someone to look up to". This means that as we walk on this earth we are always looking for somebody to connect to like our parents, our teachers, mentors or even partners like a girlfriend. Who among us has not taken part in that search?  We’ve searched for love, for acceptance, for comfort. For something outside of ourselves to make sense of the emptiness we feel inside.  We can search for years, lifetimes even.  This is a universal suffering.  In ways that I cannot fully explain, hearing this song again helped me see clearly how I have done this in my own life, and how fruitless that search had become. And if somehow we are not able to find that someone and become lonely, we need to "learn to depend on me." - depend on yourself or be independent.

The third stanza is about how we deal with other people and how we handle our failure and success. "Never to walk in anyone's shadow” tell us not to be dependent on somebody else and hide behind his shadow. Stand on your own feet; build your own honor and dignity because no matter what they take from you they can never steal these values from you. This is also talking about our education and later on having a nice job. We need to finish our studies so we could honor our parents and have dignity to face everybody that we are able to surpass the challenges of college life. The shame of fooling around at school, skipping classes and failing to graduate is the same as losing your dignity because everybody will see you as an irresponsible person. Trust me, I've been there and I've done that. That is why I'm telling my friends to think again before dropping their subjects because each one of those is so precious, you will regret for the rest of your life why you're foolish enough to put "stains" on your transcript. I am encouraging everybody to stand on their own feet, love themselves, have self-respect and build a better future. Be reminded that a family or love problem can’t be solved by another problem at school. That we don't need to walk behind another person's shadow whether it's your dead loved ones or your ex-lover because our world does not only turn around a single person. Learn to love yourself, treat yourself with respect; don't give yourself shame because the only person you could depend to is…yourself.

The entire song is so wonderfully written it reminds us that our strength, power, dignity, goals and accomplishments actually come from within. Learn to love yourself first so that it will also be easy to achieve in loving somebody else.

No comments:

Post a Comment